Sewing Machine Apron
Do you like to sew, but hate having to hunt for your scissors, thread
clippers, or marking pencil? Is your sewing table a bit small to hold the
tools you need? This “apron” is made for the sewing machine. The weight of
the machine holds the apron and all your tools securely, and within easy
BEFORE YOU START
Machine aprons don’t
have to be just for machines! Consider making one as an armchair pocket for
remotes and crossword supplies, or a bed apron for reading glasses and a
book or notepad and pencil.
Quick-Change Rotary Cutter (RTY-2/NS)
17″ x 17″ Rotating Cutting Mat
6″ x 24″ Frosted Acrylic Ruler (QR-6×24)
1 Main color fat quarter (approx. 18″ x 22″)
1 Coordinating color fat
Basic sewing supplies
- Cut the batting to match the size of the fat quarter.
- Place fabric right
sides together, and add batting to the top of the stack of fabric.
a 1/4″ seam allowance, stitch around the fabric, leaving a 4″ opening on one
- Turn project right side out, and iron flat.
- With the main color
up, turn the rectangle so that you have an 18′ side at the top.
- Fold up 4″ from the bottom of the rectangle, giving you an 18″
square with a pocket, and pin securely.
- Top stitch around the entire project, making sure you catch the
sides of the pocket.
- Next, create separations in the pocket for sewing tools. Depending
on the tools you are using, you may want to make some pockets a bit
- Once you have decided what width you want for each pocket, top
stitch through the 4″ folded pocket and the back of the fabric.
- Place top portion of apron under your sewing machine, adjusting so
that you have the pocket at a good level for you. Fill pockets and
- If you have tools that are shorter than 4″, consider stitching a
line across the bottom of that tool’s pocket so it won’t fall out of
- If you have tools that are too long for the pocket and keep falling
out, try stitching an elastic band up higher for the item to slip
through before going into the pocket.
Project design by Sheila Reinke / For personal, non-commercial use only.